MINNESOTA BIRDING WEEKS & WEEKENDS
• Please note that some MBWs can become filled months in advance. (Some MBWeeks become filled on the opening day of registrations; it is possible that additional MBWs might be scheduled to accommodate those on waiting lists.)
• All MBW registrations are acknowledged ASAP, stating if you are confirmed or on the waiting list. The maximum number of registrations for MBWeekends varies and is stated in that MBW's listing. The maximum for most MBWeeks is 7 participants.
• Before registering for any MBW, see the or page for its status to see if it is already filled or close to it, or has several vacancies. Note that registering for a MBW after it is filled should still be considered since cancellations sometimes occur, or an additional leader or extra MBW might be possible to accommodate those on the waiting list.
• A MBWeekend meeting time and place, lodging options, the participants list, car-pooling information, etc, are sent by e-mail to those registered, usually about one month before the MBW. Unless stated otherwise, most MBWeekends begin at dawn on Saturday (or Thursday), end early afternoon on Sunday (or Friday), or end Monday for 3-day MBWs. Most are based in the same city each night (unless stated otherwise).
• Transportation, meals, and lodging are not included in the MBWeekend fees. Participants make their own lodging reservations, and can make their own arrangements to car pool to the base city or to share lodging. Birding on all MBWeekends is by car-pooled caravans, is arranged in advance, and normally limited to three or five vehicles (unless stated otherwise). Participants will be able to bring their own food along for meals and/or to eat at restaurants.
• A pre-MBWeekend may either be taken alone or jointly with its associated MBWeekend.
• MBWeeks are out-of-state trips by one or two rented vehicles, and are usually about a week long. The leader makes all lodging and vehicle reservations for the group, and the participants make their own travel arrangements to/from the base city.
• The MBWeek fee generally includes the participant's share of lodging, vehicle rentals and gasoline, entry fees/permits, the leader's fee and expenses, and other trip expenses. Individual air fares (or other travel expenses to/from the base city) and meals are not included.
(Please note that the cost of a MBWeek depends on the number of participants. Those who cancel out of a MBWeek for which they were confirmed may still be obligated to cover certain expenses: e.g., if non-refundable payments had been made on their behalf, or if cancellations result in higher per- person costs for shared trip expenses.)
* * *
Minnesota Birding Weekends / Weeks (MBW) is covered by general liability insurance, and I am confident that our new season will again be without incident or accident, just as our first 35+ years have been. (And note that our policy includes coverage for false advertising: so, if we fail to see some bird included in a MBW's description, you can now sue me for up to a million dollars!) In addition, though, MBW participants are asked to agree to the following – unfortunately, legal formalities such as this have become one of life’s simple pleasures…
MBW PARTICIPANTS' ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RISK AND RELEASE:
All those who register for a Minnesota Birding Weekend / Week (MBW) recognize that there is a small risk associated with MBWs, certify that they are capable of participating in them, and assume full responsibility in the event of personal injury, loss, or damage to personal property during a MBW. In consideration of having their registrations confirmed for a MBW, all those attending will hold Minnesota Birding Weekends / Weeks and its leaders harmless for any injury, loss, or damage involving any of the participants during the MBW. Further, those volunteering to drive a vehicle during a MBW recognize and agree that they are covered by their personal automobile insurance.
Questions? Contact Kim R. Eckert
218 349 5953 cell ~ e-mail
1921 W. Kent Rd., Duluth MN 55812
THE PROCEDURE FOR 2022-23 MBW REGISTRATIONS FOLLOWS:
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN FULLY VACCINATED
AND RECEIVED A BOOSTER BEFORE THE TIME
OF THE MBW ARE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER.
THOSE ATTENDING THESE MBWs WILL FOLLOW CDC AND STATE GUIDELINES
IN EFFECT AT THE TIME FOR FACE MASKS AND SOCIAL DISTANCING.
• ALL MBW REGISTRATIONS ARE BY E-MAIL
No registrations will be accepted by U.S. mail, text, or telephone. MBW registrations must
be e-mailed to and need to include:
• The name of the MBW
• Your Name
• Your E-mail address.
• ONLY ONE REGISTRATION MAY BE SENT PER DAY
If you wish to register for multiple MBWs, your next registration must wait until the next
day or thereafter. (Exception: a pre-MBW may be included with its associated MBW.)
• A REGISTRATION E-MAIL MAY INCLUDE ONLY ONE PERSON
Exception: more than one person (e.g., a spouse) can register in the same e-mail if they live
at the same residence.
• MBW PAYMENTS ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH REGISTRATIONS
Payments will be made according to the following:
• MBWeekend fees can either made at any time, starting about a month before the MBW
(when the information on that MBW is sent to those registered); payments can also be
made in person when the MBW meets.
• MBWeekend fees are $20/day: i.e., one-day pre-MBWs are $20, standard Saturday-
Sunday MBWs are $40, and three-day MBWs are $60. The fee will be the same whether or
not it is pre-paid.
• MBWeek deposits ($100) are usually due 3 months in advance of the MBW after
the preliminary information on the MBW is sent to those registered. (This e-mail includes
the flight options to the base city, lodging options, the itinerary, etc.) These deposits are
generally non-refundable, unless someone is found to replace the one who cancels. The
final MBW details are sent about 6 weeks before the MBWeek (including the balance due),
and final payment for the MBWeek is due about 3 weeks before the MBW.
• Payments for MBWs can be made with Zelle: . Once you enroll
(either on the Zelle website, with the Zelle app, or your bank/credit union website), your
payment or deposit would go directly from your account to MBW via a simple e-mail.
It’s free (there are no charges for making or receiving payments), secure, and enrollment is
a one-time process. (It is still OK to mail checks for MBWs for those not using Zelle.)
Eckert Lake, Pope County