PLEASE NOTE THAT THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURE HAS CHANGED FOR THE 2018 - 2019 MBW SEASON:
• ALL MBW REGISTRATIONS WILL NOW BE BY E-MAIL
• NO ADVANCE PAYMENT OF MBW FEES OR DEPOSITS AT THE TIME
• ONLY ONE MBW AND ONE PERSON'S REGISTRATION PER E-MAIL
• LIMIT ONE MBWEEK REGISTRATION PER DAY (the opening date of
MBWeeks registrations was November 20, 2017)
• NO DAILY LIMIT OF MBWEEKENDS REGISTRATIONS; EACH
REGISTRATION IN A SEPARATE E-MAIL (the opening date of
MBWeekends registrations was November 27, 2017)
HERE ARE THE DETAILS...
• All MBWeekend and MBWeek registrations will be by e-mail; there will no longer be any registrations sent by U.S. mail (and no registrations will be accepted in person, by telephone, or text). MBW registrations will be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will need to include the following four items:
1) "MBW REGISTRATION" on the Subject line;
2) The name of the MBWeekend or MBWeek,
3) Your Name, and
4) Your E-mail address in the Message section.
• An e-mail can only include the registration for one MBW; if you wish to register for 3 MBWs, for example, you must send 3 separate e-mails. (Exception: a pre-MBW registration can be in the same e-mail with its related MBWeekend.)
• An e-mail can only include the registration for one person. (Exception: more than one person can register in the same e-mail if they reside at the same address.)
• Only one MBWEEK registration can be e-mailed per day, starting on November 20.
• For MBWEEKENDS, any number of registrations can be e-mailed per day, starting on November 27 (with each registration in a separate e-mail).
• No payments for a MBWeek deposit or MBWeekend fee are made at the time of your registration. These payments will be made according to the following:
° MBWEEK deposits ($100) are usually due 3 months in advance of the MBW after the
initial information on the MBW is sent to those registered. (This e-mail includes information
on flight options, lodging, meeting time and place, the itinerary, etc.) MBWeek deposits are
generally non-refundable, unless another participant is found to replace the one who cancels.
° MBWEEKEND fees can either be pre-paid about a month before the MBW (after the
information on that MBW is sent to those registered), OR in person when the MBW meets.
MBWeekend fees paid in advance are generally non-refundable, unless another participant is
found to replace the one who cancels.
All pre-paid MBWeekend fees are $20/day: i.e., one-day pre-MBWs are $20, standard
Saturday-Sunday MBWs are $40, and three-day MBWs are $60. MBWeekend fees paid in
person when the MBW meets are $25/day, or $5/day more: i.e., pre-MBWs are $25,
Saturday-Sunday MBWs are $50, three-day MBWs are $75.
MINNESOTA BIRDING WEEKS & WEEKENDS
REGISTRATION ~ 2018 - 2019 SEASON
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (unchanged from the previous season):
• All MBWeekends participants are expected/required to be members of the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union ($25 individual / $35 family); for M.O.U. membership information, see http://moumn.org/join.html.
• MBWeekend and MBWeeks registrations will be on a “first-come-first-served" basis – based
on the date and time your e-mail was sent. Please note that some MBWs can become filled months in advance; some MBWeeks have even filled on the opening day of registrations.
• All MBW registrations will be acknowledged by e-mail ASAP, stating if you are confirmed or on the waiting list. Unless stated otherwise, the maximum number of registrations for most MBWeekends is 15 participants; the maximum for most MBWeeks is 9 participants.
• MBWeek fees generally include transportation expenses (by rented vehicles), leader’s fees and expenses, entry fees/permits, and lodging during the MBW. Air fares (or other travel expenses to/from the base city) and meals are not included.
• Full payment for MBWeeks is generally due 3 weeks before the MBW. Please note that the cost of a MBWeek depends on the number of participants. Those who cancel out of a MBWeek for which they were confirmed may still be obligated to cover certain expenses: e.g., if non- refundable payments had been made on their behalf, or if cancellations result in higher per- person costs for shared trip expenses.
• A MBWeekend’s meeting time and place, lodging options, the participants list, car-pooling information, etc, are sent by e-mail to those registered, usually about one month before the MBW. Unless stated otherwise, MBWeekends normally begin at dawn on Saturday, end early afternoon on Sunday (or on Monday for 3-day MBWs), and, unless stated otherwise, are based in the same city Friday and Saturday nights.
• Transportation, meals, and lodging are not included in the MBWeekend fees. Participants can make arrangements to car pool to the base city or to share lodging – a participants list and lodging options in the base city are included with the e-mailed information about the MBW. Birding during MBWeekends is by car-pooled caravans and normally limited to four vehicles. Participants will be able to bring their own food along for meals or to eat at restaurants.
• A Friday pre-MBWeekend (or post-MBW) may either be taken alone or jointly with the associated MBWeekend on the following (or previous) days.
• Before registering for any MBW, see the MBWeekends or MBWeeks page for its registration status to see if there are openings. Note: Registering for a MBWeekend or MBWeek after it is filled should still be considered since cancellations sometimes occur, or an additional leader or extra MBW might be possible to accommodate those on the waiting list.
* * *
Minnesota Birding Weekends / Weeks (MBW) is covered by general liability insurance, and I am confident that our new season will again be without incident or accident, just as our first 30+ years have been. (And note that our policy includes coverage for false advertising: so, if we fail to see some bird included in a MBW's description, you can now sue me for up to a million dollars!) In addition, though, MBW participants are asked to agree to the following – unfortunately, legal formalities such as this have become one of life’s simple pleasures…
MBW PARTICIPANTS' ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RISK AND RELEASE:
All those who register for a Minnesota Birding Weekend / Week (MBW) recognize that there is a small risk associated with MBWs, certify that they are capable of participating in them, and assume full responsibility in the event of personal injury, loss, or damage to personal property during a MBW. In consideration of having their registrations confirmed for a MBW, all those attending will hold Minnesota Birding Weekends / Weeks and its leaders harmless for any injury, loss, or damage involving any of the participants during the MBW. Further, those volunteering to drive a vehicle during a MBW recognize and agree that they are covered by their personal automobile insurance.
25th MBW Reunion, Deep Portage Learning Center (MBW file photo)
Roseau River W.M.A., Roseau County (Judy Chucker photo)