MINNESOTA BIRDING WEEKENDS
MARCH 2017 - JANUARY 2018
~ Our 32nd Season ~
PREVIEW OF APRIL 2018 - JANUARY 2019
~ Our 33rd Season ~
Grand Marais Harbor
Minnesota Birding Weekends & Weeks (MBW), as it concludes its 32nd season, continues to offer unique, modestly priced birding trips in association with the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union (we originated back in 1986 as MOU Birding Weekends). After 31 years, we have now had a total of 389 MBWeekends, more than 8,600 registrations, and a composite list of 363 species seen within the state – and note that our modest MBWeekend fees are even lower than last season!
And be aware as well of our "Frequent Birder" Program – i.e., participants earn $5 "store credit" coupons for each MBWeekend they attend, with these credits accumulating to earn free registrations on future MBWs.
In addition to our selection of MBWeekends, the schedule of out-of-state MBWeeks will continue; please visit the page on this website for further information on these.
* * *
2017 - 2018 MINNESOTA BIRDING WEEKENDS
THE DETAILED INFORMATION ON 2017-18 MBWEEKENDS REGISTRATIONS FOLLOWS THE REMAINING 2017-18 SCHEDULE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
PLEASE NOTE AS WELL THAT THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURE FOR THE 2018-19 SEASON WILL CHANGE (SEE ABOVE).
CLICK on the MBWEEKENDS BELOW
for summaries of these (or similar) MBWeekends from previous years
* * *
March 25 - 26, 2017 • Southwestern Minnesota
April 21 pre-MBW • Grant County
April 22 - 23, 2017 • Rothsay W. M. A., Wilkin County
May 12 pre-MBW • Watonwan County
May 13 - 14, 2017 • Cottonwood & Murray Counties
May 26 pre-MBW • Fillmore County
May 27 - 28 - 29, 2017 • Southeastern Minnesota
June 16 - 17 - 18, 2017 • Itasca & Koochiching Counties
July 7 pre-MBW • Carlton County
July 8 - 9, 2017 • Aitkin County
August 11 pre-MBW • Traverse & Grant Counties
August 12 - 13, 2017 • Stevens & Big Stone Counties
September 1 pre-MBW • Lake of the Woods County
September 2 - 3 - 4, 2017 • Northwestern Minnesota
October 13 pre-MBW • Redwood County
October 14 - 15, 2017 • Lyon & Lincoln Counties
November 2 - 3, 2017 • North Shore I
November 4 - 5, 2017 • North Shore II
* * *
~ Base Duluth ~
~ Base Duluth ~
Despite the cold, this popular MBW tradition continues with so many possibilities to begin one's year list: Sharp-tailed Grouse, Northern Goshawk, northern owls (especially Great Gray, Northern Hawk, and Snowy), Black-backed Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Gray Jay, Boreal Chickadee, Bohemian Waxwing, Snow Bunting, grosbeaks, crossbills, redpolls, and more. And we'll also hope for the unexpected: a Harlequin or other rare duck (like 2015's Common Eider), an unusual gull (like 2016's Ivory Gull!), or a Gyrfalcon in pursuit of pigeons on the lakeshore; a Spruce Grouse or American Three-toed Woodpecker in a remote spruce bog; a Townsend's Solitaire, Varied Thrush, or even a Boreal Owl lurking in someone's yard.
Because Minnesota's sought-after specialties are so highly sought and often so difficult to find, and since the possibility of heavy snow or extreme cold could negatively impact our travel and birding plans, this extra day should prove useful. The itinerary this day will depend on how we did on the two previous days – i.e., devoted to finding any key species we might have missed earlier, or to covering any birding areas we might not have had time for.
STATUS as of 7 NOVEMBER 2017:
• Winter Duluth I MBW – FILLED (15 confirmed / 4 on waiting list / limit 15)
• post-MBW – 1 VACANCY (14 confirmed / limit 15)
~ See NOTE under CLICK HERE TO REGISTER on registering for FILLED MBWs ~
* * *
NOTE: Registering for a MBWeekend after it is FILLED
should still be considered since there could be cancellations,
or an additional leader or extra MBWeekend can sometimes
be arranged to accommodate those on the waiting list.
(Full refund of the MBW fee is provided if no vacancies develop.)
• MBWeekend registrations and fees will be accepted on a “first-come-first-served" basis, based on U.S. mail postmarks (i.e., the date the registration is mailed, not the date it is received). And please note that some MBWEEKENDS CAN BECOME FILLED MONTHS IN ADVANCE. The maximum numbrer of confirmed registrations for most MBWeekends is 15 participants.
• Multiple MBWs can be included on a single registration form and on a single check: please make checks payable to M.B.W. All MBW registrations must include an e-mail address. Unless a MBW is filled, checks are deposited as they are received and registrations are confirmed by e-mail.
• A MBWeekend’s meeting time and place, lodging options, the participants list, car-pooling information, etc, are sent by e-mail to those registered, usually about one month before the MBW. Unless stated otherwise, MBWeekends normally begin at dawn on Saturday, end early afternoon on Sunday (or on Monday for 3-day MBWs), and are typically based in the same city on Friday and Saturday nights.
A Friday pre-MBW (or post-MBW) may be taken separately or along with its corresponding MBWeekend on the following (or previous) days in adjacent counties.
• Transportation, meals, and lodging are not included in the MBWeekend fees. Participants can make arrangements to car pool to the base city or to share lodging – a participants list and lodging options in the base city are included with the e-mailed information about the MBW. Participants will be able to bring their own food along for meals and/or to eat at restaurants. Birding during MBWeekends is by car-pooled caravans and normally limited to four vehicles.
• All MBW participants are expected to be Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union members (see for membership information).
• Please note these changes in policy on MBWeekend cancellations:
Confirmed registrants who cancel at least 10 days in advance of a MBWeekend will receive MBW "store credit" (not a refund) of the MBW's fee; this credit can be applied to any future MBWeekend or MBWeek. Any store credits for cancellations less than 10 days in advance of the MBWwould depend on the individual circumstances.
If you are placed on a waiting list for a MBWeekend, you will receive a full refund of your MBWeekend fee (not just "store credit") if not enough cancellations/vacancies ever occur for you to be confirmed. (MBWeekends which are canceled or shortened due to severe weather, limited lodging, leader unavailability, etc., would also result in full or pro-rated refunds.)
If you request to be removed from a waiting list at any time, you will receive MBW "store credit" of the full MBW fee. These credits can be applied to any future MBWeekend or MBWeek fee or deposit.
~ April 2018 - January 2019 MBWEEKENDS ~
As of NOVEMBER 19, see this page for additional information
on each MBWeekend. Note that future changes in this schedule are possible,
and updates on these will also appear on MBWbirds.com.
(Also note the fees listed below are pre-paid amounts; fees paid on the day of the MBW are $5/day more.)
• April 13 pre-MBW ~ Martin County ~ $20 (Base Jackson)
• April 14 - 15, 2018 ~ Jackson County ~ $40 (Base Jackson)
• May 4 pre-MBW ~ Pope County ~ $20 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Morris)
• May 5 - 6, 2018 ~ Traverse County ~ $40 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Morris)
• May 11 pre-MBW ~ Yellow Medicine County ~ $20 (Base Montevideo)
• May 12 - 13, 2018 ~ Lac Qui Parle County ~ $40 (Base Montevideo)
• May 25 pre-MBW ~ Pennington & Red Lake Counties ~ $20 (Base Thief River Falls)
• May 26 - 27 - 28, 2018 ~ Kittson & Marshall Counties ~ $60 (Base Thief River Falls)
• June 15 pre-MBW ~ Clearwater County ~ $20 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Bemidji)
• June 16 - 17, 2018 ~ Beltrami County ~ $40 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Bemidji)
• July 6 pre-MBW ~ Becker County ~ $20 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Detroit Lakes)
• July 7 - 8, 2018 ~ Clay County ~ $40 (Leader Craig Mandel / Base Moorhead)
• August 31 pre-MBW ~ Mahnomen County ~ $20 (Base Mahnomen)
• September 1 - 2 - 3, 2018 ~ Polk County ~ $60 (Base Crookston)
• September 21 pre-MBW ~ Goodhue County ~ $20
(Leader Craig Mandel / Base Red Wing)
• September 22 - 23, 2018 ~ Wabasha & Winona Counties ~ $40
(Leader Craig Mandel / Base Winona)
• October 9 (Tuesday) pre-MBW ~ North Shore I ~ $20 (Base Duluth)
• October 10 - 11 (Wednesday-Thursday), 2018 ~ Duluth I ~ $40 (Base Duluth)
• November 1 - 2 (Thursday-Friday), 2018 ~ North Shore II ~ $40
(Base Duluth & Grand Marais)
• November 3 - 4, 2018 ~ North Shore III ~ $40 (Base Duluth & Grand Marais)
• January 5 - 6, 2019 ~ Duluth II ~ $40 (Base Duluth)
• January 7 (Monday) post-MBW ~ Duluth III ~ $20 (Base Duluth)
MBW REGISTRATIONS WILL CHANGE FOR THE 2018-19 SEASON:
• All MBW registrations will be by e-mail; there will no longer be any registrations by U.S. mail. Registrations will be e-mailed to email@example.com and will need to include the name of the MBWeekend or MBWeek, and your name and e-mail address. Multiple persons can register in the same e-mail only if they reside at the same address.
• Only one MBWEEK registration can be e-mailed per day starting on NOVEMBER 20. If you wish to register for multiple MBWeeks, the second registration cannot be e-mailed until November 21 or later, the third registration not until November 22, etc.
• For MBWEEKENDS, any number of registrations can be e-mailed per day starting on NOVEMBER 27; however, each registration has to be on a separate e-mail (exception: a pre- MBW registration can be in the same e-mail with the MBWeekend it precedes).
• Payment for a MBWEEKEND can either be made by U.S. mail after the information on that MBW is sent to those registered (about a month before the MBW), or in person when the
MBW meets. The fee for those paying in advance will be discounted $5 per MBW day: e.g.,
the discounted fee for a 2-day MBWeekend plus the pre-MBW is $60 for the 3 days. The fee
is $75 if payment is made at the time of the MBW. However, fees paid in advance will be non- refundable, unless another participant can replace the person who cancels.
• Payment for a MBWEEK deposit ($100) will be made after the initial information is sent to those registered, usually 3-4 months in advance of the MBWeek.
• The complete 2018-19 MBW schedule with full descriptions and other information for all MBWeekends and MBWeeks will be published on NOVEMBER 19 on this MBWbirds website.